The Canton of Geneva and Vine
The Canton of Geneva and Vine
The Republic and Canton of Geneva (GE ) is a Swiss canton , the successor to the independent Republic of Geneva since the sixteenth century until it became a Swiss canton December 31, 1815 . The Republic and Canton of Geneva has a small but densely populated area . It is located at the western end of Switzerland and Lake Geneva and almost entirely surrounded by France. Its capital is the city of Geneva.
The vine is grown there since Roman times . over 200 winemakers working with some 10 million liters cellared and 1400 ha , the Canton of Geneva is the third largest wine canton in Switzerland , there are hundreds of caves in the township offering Chasselas , Gewürztraminer , Viognier , Cabernet Sauvignon Gamaret , ext.
It has the largest wine town in the country ( Satigny 466 hectares of vines )
Walk a wine travels Geneva canton third largest producer of wine in Switzerland. Different routes are dotted with explanatory terminals with the grape varieties Geneva . The route " Rive Droite " through Satigny largest wine town in Switzerland , and offers an exceptional view of the Salève . The walk "Between Arve and Rhone " immerses you in the heart of the "Champagne" region where there are many restaurants offering local products. Finally, the route "Between Lake and Arve " travels the left bank of the Rhone and its charming historical villages.
The oldest traces show the presence of man in the Geneva area are dated around 11,000 BC. BC These shelters Veyrier - blocks ( at the foot of Salève ) . These temporary camps are occupied by reindeer hunters belonging to the Magdalenian culture. The first traces of human occupation of the site dates back to 5000 Geneva Ave. BC approximately . They are found on the shores of Lake Geneva and a settlement site found in the temple of Saint- Gervais . The hill of the old town is inhabited in 1000 BC. AD
Around 400 , Geneva was built in bishopric. In 443, a Germanic tribe , the Burgundians , binds in the region. In 535 it was occupied by the Franks Geneva is incorporated into the Merovingian monarchy , then the Carolingian Empire. The disintegration of the latter, in the ninth century saw the birth of the second kingdom of Burgundy, which belongs Geneva . In 1032 , the state goes to the German emperors .
Located at the western end of Switzerland, at the end of Lake Geneva, the canton shares more than 90% of its borders with France (100 km against 10.4 km with the rest of Switzerland , specifically in Township Vaud). It is surrounded by the departments of Ain in the west, and the Haute-Savoie to the east and south , and the Canton of Vaud in the north, which is enclosed in the Geneva town Céligny .
It is surrounded on French territory by the Jura mountains northwest culminating stood at Cret de la Neige at 1720 meters, where the highest point of the canton is approximately 516 meters on Jussy ( to Monniaz ) . Vuache the east , separated from the Jura Mountains in the crucible of the Rhone, the Fort Lock was built to dominate the region of Geneva . Mont- de-Sion south , described by Caesar in the Gallic Wars as the only passable passage for convoys of tanks wishing to leave Genava towards Narbonne . Salève , southeast , is located in France but is nicknamed the mountains of Geneva by its ease of access ( cable ) but also due to its privileged location overlooking over the township and lake, offers a spectacular view to say the least . On a clear day , it offers a panorama from Fort l'Ecluse , crossing the Rhone dug during the last glaciation by ice that is believed to extend to around Lyon and shaped the hilly terrain and the stony plain to Nyon in the canton of Vaud.